Friday, November 19, 2010

Andrea Mitchell Complextion



...

"I do not know how to express it, but surely you, like everyone else, feel that there is or should be your existence outside of you. What would be born, if I was exhausted all in myself? My great pains in this world have been Heathcliff's pain, and have observed them and buffs everyone from the beginning, my biggest thought in living is himself. If everyone died, and the only him, I still exist, and if all the other remained alive, and he were annihilated, the universe would become completely foreign to me: I do not feel more part.
My love for Linton is like the foliage in the woods: time will change it, the I know, as winter changes the trees.
My love for Heathcliff resembles the eternal rocks beneath the earth: there is little visible delight, but necessary. Nelly, I have Heathcliff! He is always, always in my thoughts: It is a pleasure, as I am not always a pleasure for myself, but it's my very being. "

Emily Bronte, Wuthering Heights, 1847


of this novel barely knew the existence up to a month ago. Since then I've been reading and rereading. I do not know why, maybe I'll have to admit to being a girl too romantic, as the author.
cared a lot Emily Brontë to her privacy, it can be deduced from his meager biography. It was definitely a passionate person by nature, but did not like to admit. This can be deduced from the novel itself. The thing that struck me the most, in fact, is that the whole affair, in which the characters act under the sole guidance of his own feelings, is told by someone who understands nothing of such feelings.
Nelly, the maid, the main narrator, has no sympathy for the main protagonists of the novel, it judges the behavior through the rigid morality of the time, does not offer them any mitigating factor. Emily Brontë understand them instead. Otherwise could not have put those words into the mouth of her heroine Catherine. But I realized that no one else, at least at that time and in that place, he would have just as much for their understanding, and he was right, since the novel was not successful for a long time.
think about it, it puts chills. I wonder who really was this woman lived only thirty years, two centuries ago.
What had really in your heart? In this society in which all compete in showing off, (and often have nothing to show) is difficult to understand a woman who instead chose to keep his inner world to himself. If it were not for the insistence of his sister, this novel and his poems were not published. must be why I keep thinking about it, and that this writer has long fascinated me. Or maybe because, after reading the passage that I quoted here, I felt less alone.
...

0 comments:

Post a Comment